[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 456: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 456: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4246: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3685)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4248: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3685)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4249: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3685)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4250: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3685)
Multiworld • View topic - Sniper mentality?

Multiworld

Nothing is impossible in the Multiworld
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Sniper mentality?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:59 am 

At one point of my RO career I came to realize that sooner or later there is 'something wrong' with most of the snipers. Obviously any class is capable of creating confusion, but snipers just seem destined to do so. I wonder if its days they spend down in GH sever killing Stings, that make them go mad? Or maybe the setup_traps->shout_at_allies_breaking_them->repeat loop is too much to handle? Or perhaps there is more to RO than meets an eye, and sniper is a class chosen by people with certain personality?

I would love to give some detailed examples, but this is supposed to be discussion thread, not flame thread (and the effort will be taken to eliminate latter). Lets just say, that I don't really recall any serious sniper, that didn't break down at one point. Some went down quietly (noo, my beloved Maca) others were a bit louder (Clae <3, Argenteo <3 (whose birthday made me recall I wanted to post this;p). I guess Alexisonfire is closest to contradicting my statement, as he modified his behaviour only after he changed his class.

So is it RO, that changes snipers, or is it specific people who choose this class? Or perhaps its just me and you never encountered this 'sniper thing'? Discuss, and once again - please don't flame.

Post subject: Re: Sniper mentality?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:27 pm 

First and foremost, I gotta say I missed your, well, intellectual discussions, Crow. It's a joy to read something written by you or to discuss with you, really :D Too bad I don't have too much contact with you Polish people anymore.

I gotta say I am not 100% sure if I get what I mean, but I can give my opinion about "sniper mentality". Sniper is a class that is more effective in PvM and not in PvP. I don't say they are not good in PvP, it's just that in PvM they are just better, since they got lotsa flee, traps, arrows for every kind of Monsters etc. etc. However the aim of a serious player is in 95% of the cases to be good in PvP and WoE. There are many classes that can do just mean things to snipers against which they can't do a lot, like aco classes, professors, paladins... with one word: they die pretty fast.
I guess Ro changes everyone, in a way. At least I noticed that it changed me. Now that I think about it, it might really be that all this stress about trapping and having to get along with the other people precasting changes snipers. It might be that in PvP wars they die pretty fast unless they use zoom hax, or that they can't do anything at all cause the enemy knows how to pneuma.
About specific people choosing the sniper class, I don't know. I just know that I am that type of person that likes sniper most and that really enjoys playing one. Even tho I have been playing other classes lately, and to be honest can't remember when I last played sniper, it stays my favorite.

Oh well, I wrote some blaaah... but since this topic is just about me I had to write what popped up in my mind x3

But could you describe with some more words what you exactly mean? :P

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:40 am 

I think I know why did You start this discussion :? . My explain? Well... playing sniper really changes ppl. I choosed archer class because it's easy to lvl. Sniper is a bit similar to h.wizz class. They do a lot of dmg, and die "pretty fast". If sniper want to survive in PvP he must be quick, angry. When woe is over he's still angry (damn, i died 98127398 times, I can't use cranial when im shooting they didn't buff me etc.). That makes him more angry, irritated, annoyed and nervous . One step further = offensive words to ppl/friends.

However: I want to say I'm sorry, to everyone WHEN I said something offensive.

Did RO change me? of course, like every mmo. Mad players are the part of this kind of games. But in real life I'm calm and shy, Seriously.

(Did u see the Aragorn in rage? He's like a sniper at woe, order him to setup traps) :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:15 am 

Well, I must say I really liked playing sniper... My fav class. Mostly because I don't really give a damn about pvp so I didn't mind dying on woe, and spamming multishot (or whatever was that skill called, can't remember now) with my 4 status composite was fuuuun. What did get to me, though, was stupidity of gazzilion people who didn't know the right from left. I mean, really, how hard it is to miss "GO ON RIGHT ------>", hum? While trapping, it was either a biiig box of chocolates that kept me calm, or cursing aloud at every sucker who got trapped. Yeah, trapping on woe really can smash your faith in humanity.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:35 am 

Hi Crow!!! I've read your post and I'm trying to emphatise with what you've written. About your statement 'there's something wrong with snipers'- most probably you've got the luck to have met the best, RO-engaged, extremely social in game but also problematic snipers. Therefore your view on this matter is highly subjective ;P I wouldn't expect anyone to understand the reasons why after a relatively long period of playing RO some people 'go down' and don't return. In most of the cases, that's quite personal. Imo, snipers create confusion and chaos partly due to their job class =D If it comes to snipers' character... from my own experience snipers just try to entertain themselves in between hunting (which is boring and tedious) and during WOE (only when trapping, cause attacking is fun) so yelling in the guild chat and creating drama lama's makes it much more interesting.
I think at some point during creating MW guild on RO we managed to create something special, an extremely friendly and cooperative guild. Thanks for the memories, lol.:D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:44 pm 

Maca! Hi. =P

And I've always empathized with snipers that are made to just trap, especially when no one's attacking, and allies keep walking over them, etc... but it is a necessary job. =\ I thought about making a sniper (mainly for killing wizzies, or pure FA just to play around with), and just not getting the trap skill so no guild could force me to sit there and trap, but yeah.. =P

Characters:
RO - 1WingedAngel
WoW - Kartekk