Multiworld

Nothing is impossible in the Multiworld
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: What is WoE 2.0?
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:34 pm 

hi, since Crow asked I'll share what I know about woe 2.0. Since this is a lot of text, watch the vid as well. In it you can see all the things that I talk about.

http://files.filefront.com/DesxNabzWoeS ... einfo.html

Also, ro future wiki has detailed explanation as well.

http://ro.doddlercon.com/wiki/index.php ... Emperium_2

There are 8 castles for woe 2.

1. Changed map/castle layout:

Each castle is one level only. It has only one portal, which is at the entrance and it is the only place you can do a traditional precast. However, some castle entrances are not conducive to the traditional precast. For example, the yolbriger or hoh emp rooms had narrow staircases/walkways where setting up CP was perfect. But some entrances are very wide, so it is easy to move out of a CP if it is set up.

Each castle map is approximately the size of all 4 levels of a WoE 1.0 castle combined. It's hard to say exactly, since some woe 1.0 castles were very large while others were smaller.

A guardian stone is located where it says "Strategic point"
A barricade is located where it says "G"

2. Guardian stones
Each castle has 2 guardian stones near the entrance. They serve 2 functions - summon guardians and as a barrier. These stones allow the guild leader to summon guardians that are as strong as the mobs in Thors, not weak like WoE 1 guardians. Also, they create a barrier that prevents an attacking guild from proceeding to the first set of barricades. Both guardian stones must be destroyed to proceed further into the castle. Both can also be repaired if broken.

Image of entrance, barricade one, and in the background the area around one guardian stone.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a267/ ... rus018.jpg

3. Barricades
Barricades are phallic sprites. They look like wooden penises. LOL. That's all you need to know.

Seriously though, throughout each castle, there are 3 sets of barricades. Each set has about 4-6 wooden blockades. Each of them has 600k HP. The barricades prevent the attacking guild from moving forward and all the blockades from each set must be destroyed before the attacking guild can move forward. These cause intense GvG battle since the blockades can be healed and sanced. Normal attacks and skills work on the barricades. So, you will see sinx doing SB, priest healing, etc on the blockades.

Unlike the guardian stones, these barricades can not be repaired during woe if broken. They can only be set up once for a new castle owner for a woe period. Behind the 3rd and last set of barricades is the precious emperium that we all know so well.

Image of Barricade 2 and surrounding areas
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a267/ ... rus017.jpg

Image of barricade 3, emperium area, and 10 castle flags in the background

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a267/ ... rus016.jpg

4. Castle flags
There are numerous flags that warp you to different points in the castle - such as the guardian stones, behind barricade 1, behind barricade 2, emperium, etc... The flags in front of the castle warp you to the emperium.

5. New strategies and class nerfs

Not completely aware of all the new strategies and stuff since I have only woed once.

Gypsies have become much more useful because the battle areas are larger and Dazzler becomes much more useful. I think this makes it harder to be a HW and other low vit chars. My 70 vit creator was getting stunned like crazy. Sinx, though still overpowered, get a nerf because they can't solo a castle anymore. It used to be the case that sinx could get to pre-emp easily with speed pots, pot through precast, cloak, and then pot through a 7 sec emp break. That is not the case anymore. They must move with the guild to destroy guardian stones, barricades, before finally getting to the emp.

Just personal theorycrafting but I think the "WoE" HP build is no longer limited to the 50-60 int one as being "the best." Since barricades and can be healed I can see a use for an HP that has high heal amount under strings can actually be useful.

WoE 2.0 places greater emphasis on GvG battles that are like the PvP battles you see in USRC championships. (That's why I'm glade I made a creator) Except instead of 7 vs 7, it's GvG. This increases the value of devo pallies. All classes must move around more together. Wizards are no longer doomed to boring precasts, clowns have to move around with strings active, the value of CP has decreased. Teamwork and sticking together is more important. These things were not that important on the first 3 levels of a woe 1 castle.

Night On Fire - sniper

Post subject: Re: What is WoE 2.0?
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:46 pm 

Well, I got to get back home to see the vid, but at first glance this doesn't look like a nice change. I guess that lack of portals inside castle removes a great advantage people with better CPUs had over others. I am afraid however, of other impact this could have on WoE itself, together with lack of chokepoints for precast.

For me WoE was almost all about precasting. Simply said, if you had a good precast, you could defend even against stronger opponent, or against a zergrush of multiple guilds. On the other hand, while attacking breaking precast was the main, condensed amount of action you had. If you broke precast, the castle was practically taken. You spammed pots, used all your skill and all the bug abuses you could, just to live through that 30 secs, and cause havoc later on. Even if you did not take a castle breaking precast was something that you could really consider an achievement. Finally precast gave organized and systematic guilds much advantage over zergs.

Without precast I feel WoE will be much more of the gearcheck than it was before. Much more similar, as you mentioned, to group vs group PvP... I believe the new Woe is much easier for attackers than defenders.

Three emperiums instead of one sounds like nice idea. This should limit the accidental ninja takeovers (haha, we were good at allowing them in our castles:D). I bet, however, that string spamming heal on fallic piece of wood makes priest WoE even more miserable than it was before...

It seems, that most of all WoE 2.0 is introduced to handle more players in one castle. This is obviously a good direction for official servers, where the people condensation you could see in woe vids was absurd, and possibly totally destroying the game. For private servers with lower population it unfortunately could just turn the best aspect of this game into simple group PvPing you had on PvP grounds...

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:13 pm 

yeah, woe 2 definitely has its pros and cons. I haven't sorted out an opinion on it yet since I've only woe'd once. I don't know why but the GMs won't set up woe 1.0 on one day and woe 2.0 on another day.

I'm enjoying LRO nonetheless. New server, new woe, new class all provide interesting things for me to do :)

Night On Fire - sniper

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:08 am 

WoE 2.0 looks really awesome, I always wanted to try it when I saw it for the first time many months ago. It's good to see it's finally on private servers and makes me want to try it out..

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:57 pm 

I like what I'm hearing :)

hehe

but srsly, legacy RO is the best place to try out woe 2.0. The rates aren't too low for it to feel slow. And the server is one of the largest out there to support challenging/fun woe 2.0.

Night On Fire - sniper